CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We’re getting Meerkats!

Hi everyone, Zebee here. I’m really excited today. My boss Joy has added a new exhibit. An exhibit of Meerkats. Do you know what they are? They are a small mammal, part of the mongoose family.

I think they are a hoot to watch. I just know all our visitors will love them. We’re getting 10 of them. I don’t know their names yet, but since the new exhibit is going to be off a side road between the elephant and white rhino exhibits, I guess Elvis will have to let me out one night so I can go visit.

So, here’s a little bit of information about meerkats.
* They live in the desert of Botswana and South Africa.
* They pal around in groups called “mob”, “gang” or “clan”.
* They live 12-14 years normally.
* Like Lito, they stand on their hind legs a lot.
* They live in burrows underground.
* They are very social animals, they groom each other and lick each others faces.
* They have some that stand watch, like a look out, while the rest forage for food.
Pictures thanks to Wikipedia.

I’ve got to go. I hear Elvis calling me and I want to see when he can let me out so I can go visit with our newest additions.

See you Thursday with a book review about a blue dinosuar.
posted by Zebee aka Joy Delgado
We go Beyond Reading
Laughing Zebra – Books for Children
You learned that from a picture book!?!
Books Go Beyond Reading

0 comments: